Daguerreotype M. P. Simons of Philadelphia
1845c Half Plate Daguerreotype ID’d Civil War Auctioneer By M. P. Simons Philadelphia
1 in stock
PD7: 1845-47c Large Half Plate Daguerreotype of Samuel C. Cook (noted Civil War Ship Auctioneer) By Rarely Seen And Sought After Artist M. P. Simons of Philadelphia:
A slip of paper under the plate identifies the subject as Sam. C. Cook. In a fancy vest by “M.P. Simons” and “Philada” are stamped in the mat of the full hinged case. There are obvious wipes at the top of the image and some around the peripheries but they do not effect the central image. There are also some small scratches just to the left of his head. There is some strange surface patina (same effect I have seen on other Simons plates) but when the plate is turned slightly the image really pops and the haze disappears. Samuel was Son of Mr & Mrs Albert C. Cook of Riverton, Burlington County, NJ, 10 miles from Philadelphia on Amboy Drive. He was born in 1822 Pennsylvania and died in 1902. He married Elizabeth Shute Poulson of Philadelphia (1823-1866) had 4 Children: Miss Julia P. Cook (b1855); Leander C. Cook (b1851); Miss Lizzie P. Cook (b1860); and Albert G. Cook (b1863) (invalid – blind).
Montgomery P. Simons Bio By Craig’s Registry: Simons may have been active in Philadelphia, Pa. as a daguerreian casemaker as early as 1842; his first listing in the city directory was in 1843. Then he was listed as a casemaker at 173 Chestnut Street, in partnership as Simons and Willis (S.D.), with his home at 147 Pine Street. It was also in 1843 that Patent #3085, for coloring daguerreotypes (the fourth U.S. photographic patent) was issued to Warren Thompson of Philadelphia, and assigned to M.P. Simons. From 1844 to 1847 Simons was listed as a casemaker at 100 Chestnut St., with his home on Coates St. The directory showed no listing of the partnership. This is undoubtedly the same as S.P. Simons, listed at the same address in 1846. Once source has referenced a partnership of Simons and Wight, dates unknown, as manufacturers of morocco work. This reference is unsupported by documentation; Noah and Edwin Wight were listed as paper box manufacturers. In 1846, Simons was listed as a daguerreian casemaker at 20 South 4th St., Philadelphia. It is probable that the Simons and Willis partnership continued until 1848. In 1848 Simons turned to daguerreotyping, and was listed as a photographist at 179 Chestnut Street. In 1849, he continued to be listed at the same address; also at the 179 Chestnut Street was the firm of N.A. Simons & Co., casemakers. This double listing may be a simple overlap in directory entries; N.A. Simons advertised in 1848 he was the successor to M.P. Simons in the case manufacturing business. In November, 1849, Simons advertised as a daguerreian in Charleston, S.C.; or rather his firm advertised in Charleston. In March, 1850 the firm advertised they had taken 4,000 daguerreotypes in the previous four months, and H.S. Smith, who opened the gallery with Simons, noted later he had been the sole acting partner since the opening. In 1850-1851, Simons continued to be listed as a photographist at 179 Chestnut St. This was his last listing in the Philadelphia directories until 1857. From 1852 to 1856, he was listed as a daguerreian in Richmond, Va., in a gallery upstairs at 151 Main Street. In 1852, he employed R.C. Scofield in the gallery. In 1857, he was once again listed as a daguerreian in Philadelphia, then at 76th St. above Girard. From 1858 to 1860 he was listed as a daguerreian at 922 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, and lived at 1223 N. 5th Street. In 1859 he was also listed in Richmond, Va., still at 151 Main Street, upstairs. He was noted working with Powers (E.M. and M.J.) that year. Daguerreian images have been noted stamped on brass mat: “M.P. Simons Philada.”
|Dimensions||1 × 1 × 1 cm|